Touring Colleges, Without Ever Leaving Home
Please click on the link to listen to the news clip and answer the following questions.
I. Vocabulary Check-up
make up to reduce or replace something, usually an amount of time or work, that has been lost
virtual describes something that can be done or seen using a computer and therefore without going anywhere or talking to anyone
third party a third person or organization less directly involved in a matter than the main people or organizations that are involved
demonstrated to express or show that you have a particular feeling, quality or ability
Fill in the blanks with one of the words from the word list above.
1. He has ___________ a genuine interest in the project.
2. Some of the advertisements you see on these interactive web sites are delivered by ___________ who also collect information through cookies, web beacons, and other technologies about your online activities.
3. You can view a ___________ tour properly on this website.
4. We're hoping to ___________ time on the return journey by not stopping at night.
II. Listening Comprehension / True or False
1. _____ Currently, the site named “CampusTours” has offered an international database for schools in other countries.
2. _____Students can know a brief look of colleges from the virtual tours.
3. _____ The site offer links to official websites and online applications.
4. _____ There are information on price, number of students, admission requirements and scholarship programs from the CampusTours site.
5. _____Students can choose a college based on the information from the CampusTours site.
6. _____Everyone knows that if the student is a good enough student or is a special case, the student may get a free visit.
7. _____ If the student demonstrates the interest in a school, he or she may have more chances of being admitted.
8. _____ Chris Carson started the website “CampusTours” in 1997 on his own.
9. _____ Based on the report, many websites with campus tours focus on text information and lack much visual material.
10. _____ There is a tendency to build virtual tours and maps for schools.
third parties 3.
II. 1. F 2. T 3. T 4. F 5. F 6. F 7. T 8. F 9. T 10.T