Debating the Best Way to Learn a Language
Please click on the link to listen to the news clip and answer the following questions.
necessarily [used in negatives to mean 'in every case' or 'therefore']
explicit [clear and exact]
implicit [suggested but not communicated directly]
immerse [to become completely involved in something]
curriculum [the group of subjects studied in a school, college, etc]
warrant [to say that you are certain about something]
Fill in the blanks with one of the words from the word list above. After you finish, use mouse drag to select the text to reveal the hidden answer.
1. The professor is busy preparing his chemistry curriculum plan.
2. The storekeeper warrantedthe goods as of the first quality.
3. She got some books out of the library and immersed herself in Jewish history and culture.
4. I gave her very explicit directions how to get here..
5. He interpreted her comments as an implicit criticism of the government.
6. You may love someone without necessarily wanting to marry them
II. Listening Comprehension / True or False.
Fill in the blanks with T or F. After you finish, use mouse drag to select the text to reveal the hidden answer.
1. _(T)_ According to the study, foreign language learning in adults has basically two different methods, i.e., classroom method and immersion method.
2. _(F)_ The explicit method is by being with native speakers and absorbing the language that surrounds them.
3. _(F)_ Mr. Ullman is a professor of languages at Georgetown University in Washington.
4. _(F)_ Based on the finding of Professor Ullman, combing the two methods can greatly help the brain in processing the new language.
5. _(T)_ The research found that those who had learned the language with the immersion method had brain waves similar to those of native speakers of a language when speaking it.
6. _(F)_ The explicit group did not show native-like in their brain processing.
7. _(F)_ Based on the research, Professor Ullman will make some curriculum changes.
8. _(T)_ Mr. Ullman would like to see maximum proficiency in different aspects of language in his further research.
I. 1. curriculum, 2. warranted, 3. immersed, 4. explicit, 5. implicit, 6. necessarily
II. 1. T 2. F 3. F 4. F 5. T 6. F 7. F 8. T