Words and Their Stories: Fish Expressions
Listen to the talk first and answer the following questions with the knowledge of expressions you obtained from the content.
1. If we say someone is fishy, it means that this person is
A) bold B) nosey C) suspicious D) diligent
2. I always feel like ______ when I make presentations at international conferences. Not just because I tend to get nervous to speak in public, but also because I feel less confident to speak in English.
3. A: Oh, look how fat I look in this dress!
A) a fish out of water B) holy mackerel
C) teaching a fish how to swim D) a fish living in a bowl
B: Come on. Don’t be silly. You know you’re not fat at all!
A: But I think light color makes me look chubby.
B: Nonsense! You’re absolutely stunning and charming. And, by the way, please stop ______. I know all you want is someone saying something nice to you.
A) fishing or cutting bait B) saying holy mackerel
C) fishing for compliments D) teaching a fish how to swim
4. It’s time for you to ______. Either you join us and finish the project, or we will move on without you.
A) be a fine kettle of fish B) look green around the gills
C) be packed in like sardines D) fish or cut bait
5. Larry drank like a _____ at the party last night. It seemed like he almost drank to the last bottle of wine! He must be having a serious hangover right now!
A) sardine B) mackerel
C) fish D) herring
6. I don’t see any future between you guys. Maybe it’s time to end this relationship. _____. You’ll soon find someone who suits you better.
A) There are plenty of other fish in the sea. B) It is like a fishing expedition.
C) Just follow the red herring. D) It’s like living in a fish bowl.
7. I’m having a _____ here. Jane didn’t show up at the place we agreed to meet. And I forgot to carry my cell phone. And the movie is about to start!
A) fishing expedition B) fine kettle of fish
C) a cold fish D) fish in a barrel
Ans: 1. C 2. A 3. C 4. D 5. C 6. A 7. B