Why Getting Dirty Can Be Healthy for Children
Please click on the link to watch the news clip and answer the following questions.
I. Match the words with their definitions.
Read the sentences. Using the context, guess the meanings of the boldfaced words and expressions. Then match them with their definitions by typing in the letters representing the definitions.
A. a red, painful and often swollen area in or on a part of your body
B. an influencing element or factor
C. To aim at or for
D. unusual or special and therefore surprising and worth mentioning
E. an illness of the mind or body
1._____ The family have a history of mental disorder.
2._____ It is hoped that civilians will not be targeted during the war.
3._____ Education is the second most important determinant of recreational participation.
4._____ Aspirin reduces pain and inflammation.
5._____ Meeting you here in Rome is a remarkable coincidence.
II. Listening Comprehension / True or False
1. _____ According to the new study, early exposure to germs can strengthen the immune system.
2. _____ The subjects of the study involved both laboratory mice and children.
3. _____ Rheumatoid arthritis, Crohn’s disease, and hay fever are types of autoimmune diseases.
4. _____ According to Blumberg’s study, the increasing use of antibacterial soaps can strengthen immune system.
5. _____ Early exposure to microbes is an important determinant of later life sensitivity to allergic and autoimmune diseases.
6. _____ The mice raised in a germ-free environment were found inflammation in the lungs and colon.
7. _____ Once the ‘education’ event provided by the microbes occurred in early life, it lasted throught the life of the animal.
8. _____ Rates of autoimmune disorders are rising mostly in poorer and developing countries.
9. _____ The study suggests that we should stop washing our hands with antimicrobial soap.
10. _____ The study suggests that we should let our kids play in a reasonable amount of dirt but stay inside.
I. 1. E 2. C 3. B 4. A 5. D
II. 1. T 2. F 3. T 4. F 5. T 6. T 7. T 8. F 9. T 10. F