Harvard's First Woman President Settles into Role
Drew Gilpin Faust is prestigious university's 28th president
Retrieved from VOA news at: http://www.voanews.com/english/news/usa/people/Harvards-First-Woman-President-Settles-into-Role-123224643.html
Please listen to the news and answer to the questions:
1. From the listening, what is mostly like Prof. Faust’s major?
A) Art B) History C) Gender study D)Education
2. Which factor makes the appointment of Prof. Faust meaningful for others?
A) her family background
B) being the first president of Harvard from the field of history
C) her gender
D) the disability she has
3. What does Prof. Faust mean when she said, “I grew up at a time where very little was expected of women,”?
A) Women were discriminated by most men.
B) Women were not allowed to have jobs by their parents.
C) Most women had similar developments when they grow up.
D) The law had specific jobs for women.
4. What is Prof. Faust’s first priority after being the President of Harvard?
A) Shortening the gap between rich and poor
B) Making Harvard more diverse
C) Inviting more African students to study at Harvard
D) Making studying at Harvard more financially accessible.
5. According to Prof. Faust’s point of view, what is NOT the essence of U.S. higher education?
A) creativity B) curiosity C) diligence D) imaginativeness
Please listen to the clip file and complete the following text
Harvard University is___ one of the most prestigious ___ in the world. Founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts in___, it is among the oldest in the United States.
In 2007, Harvard___ historian and scholar Drew Gilpin Faust___ 28th president. She is the first woman to hold that position.
Multiple choice: BCADC
Transcribing: arguably, universities, 1636, named, its