How Much Exercise Do You Really Need?
June 27, 2011
Click on the link and listen to the talk. Complete the following summary according to the content you hear.
I. Why is exercise important to our health?
1. Exercise helps to reduce the risk of some diseases, including ________ disease, ________, type-two ________, osteoporosis and even some kinds of ________.
2. ________ ________ is the leading cause of death in the United States. High ________ ________ and high ________ ________ in blood can increase your risk of heart disease. Medical experts say both can be ________ through normal ________.
3. Exercise can increase the ________ of endorphins, which are the chemicals reducing feelings of ________. These chemicals help people feel more ________ and ________.
4. Exercise improves your energy levels by increasing the ________ of blood to the heart and blood ________. It also ________ calories – the energy stored in food. The more calories you burn, the easier it is to control or reduce your ________.
II. What kind of exercise do you need?
1. Aerobic or ________ exercise gets your heart rate going faster and increases your ________. Some examples are activities like walking at an ________ speed, dancing, swimming or riding a bicycle.
2. Muscle-________ activities help build and strengthen muscle groups in the body. This kind of exercise includes lifting weights, or doing ________ -ups and ________ -ups.
III. How much exercise do you need?
1. Adults should get at least ________ and ________ ________ hours of aerobic exercise each week.
2. For more ________ activities such as playing basketball, swimming and ________ running, reduce the suggested amount of time to ________ ________ and ________ minutes.
3. People need to exercise ________ minutes each day for at least ________ days to get the health benefits of exercise.
4. Any exercise plan should include at least ________ days of ________ training. Each exercise period should be at least ________ minutes long. The total amount of activity should be spread over at least ________ days throughout the week.
IV. The popular types of exercise in America
1) the ________ way to get exercise.
3) less ________ to the knees and feet
1) ________ heart activity, lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels
2) reducing ________ and muscle loss
3) burn an average of ________ calories a kilometer
1) less risk of muscle and ________ injury
good for ________ women, older adults, and ________ people
1. heart; stroke; diabetes; cancer
2. heart; disease; blood pressure; cholesterol levels; reduced; exercise
3. release; pain; happy; peaceful
4. flow; vessels; burns; weight
1. cardio; breathing; increased
2. strengthening; lifting; sit; push
1. two; a; half
2. intense; distance; one; hour; fifteen
3. 30; 5
4. 2; muscle; ten; two
1. easiest; damaging
2. improving; bone; 160
3. pregnant; joint; overweight