Words and Their Stories: Proverbs About How to Live
I. Matching: listen to the talk and match the phrases with their definitions.
A) The early birds catches the worm.
B) Do not count your chickens before they are hatched.
C) Do not put all your eggs in one basket.
D) Haste makes waste.
E) All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
1. _____: Don’t worry too much about things that haven’t happened yet.
2. _____: Spread the risks instead of putting all the resources together.
3. _____: People who take actions early are more likely to succeed.
4. _____: Think twice before you act.
5. _____: It is inappropriate that children work all the time and don’t have fun.
II. Fill in the blanks: complete the following sentences with the phrases introduced in the talk.
1. You really should stay on a healthy diet. After all, you are ______________________.
2. A: Did you see the guy who was flirting with me? He’s totally hot!
B: I thought you have a commitment with your boyfriend?
A: Well, it’s not like we’re married or something...
B: Mind this, “A bird _____________________.” If you keep playing games, you’ll end up losing your boyfriend, too!
3. A: Henry seems to be fond of luxury stuff. Almost everything he has is a branded product!
B: Right! Just look at the car he drives, clothes he wears, even the girlfriends he picks!
A: Although it seems to be fancy to have all that stuff, I really think he should use his money wisely. You know, a fool ______________________________.
4. A: Do you agree with the proverb that children _________________________?
B: Well, I think that’s quite an old-fashioned idea for teaching kids disciplines. I mean, it’s no doubt that children should obey whatever their parents tell them to do and not argue with them. But sometimes it is communication that helps to build a good relationship of trust between parents and kids.
5. A: Oh, how I hate my job! I really regret not taking the chance to join the working holiday program when I graduated from university!
B: I understand. But there’s really no point crying ________________________. You should suck it up and live with what you have.
6. A: Do you know the new exchange student, Jenny? I heard that she’s not a neat person. Her room is always a mess. Her roommate is thinking about moving out!
B: Hey, I don’t think you get to talk about her like that. People who ________________________________________. I’ve been to your room a couple of times. It’s not one of the tidy types, either.
1. B 2. C 3. A 4. D 5. E
II. Fill in the blanks
1. what you eat
2. in the hand is worth two in the bush
3. and his money are soon parted
4. should be seen and not heard
5. over spilled milk
6. live in glass houses should not throw stones